Monday, September 1, 2014

Exploring Family Tree

I've been exploring my family tree tonight. Highlights include:

Adam and Eve
Noah
Abraham
Isaac
Jacob
Judah
Ruth
King David
Bathsheba
Solomon
Joseph of Arimethea
Charlemange
Julius Caesar and several other Roman Emperors
William the Conqueror
Kings of France, Italy, Britain, Ireland, Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark
Thor (like mythical Thor. It's not just a guy who happens to be named Thor.)

It was more fun than I thought it was going to be but it got me thinking - do you know where those names come from? 

I don't know for sure, but this is what I think (and I can say it with authority because I'm on the internet). They come from genealogists that added their personal trees to the Church's system and then all the trees were mashed together by the computer. There are some complications with mashing those names together. It shouldn't take you very long for you to find something on your tree that doesn't make sense; like an ancestor that has several sets of parents listed. When the trees were combined, some (a lot) of the information didn't match and the computer just had to make the best of it. That's why you can sometimes find discrepancies in your tree.

Even though there are some glitches to work out (and you can help with that as you research by fixing them and adding sources), it's pretty amazing that you can see all of those names! It's easy for young people to take those names for granted. We didn't have to really work for them. But someone (who probably didn't know much about computers) sat down and entered all of those names into the computer - one by one. When you explore your tree I invite you to take a moment to say a prayer of gratitude for all the people who found and entered those names to make your tree possible.

Are you wondering what I'm wondering, though?

Whose Grandma added Thor to Family Search?

No comments:

Post a Comment